Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thing #19: Podcasts

I didn't realize that a podcast is "distinguished from other digital media formats by its ability to be syndicated, subscribed to, and downloaded automatically when new content is added." I also assumed that you had to download a podcast to an MP3 player to listen to it--didn't know that many were offered via streaming audio on the Web. Good information!

I found podcast.net to be the easiest directory to navigate, but my favorite content sources are National Public Radio and Minnesota Public Radio. I added a few podcasts to my Google Reader page from these sources: Garrison Keillor's The Writer's Almanac, a grammar podcast, and a new classical music podcast. I also downloaded the latest Car Talk podcast to my MP3 player. Now I can enjoy Car Talk when I'm not in the car.

Here's a nice podcast from Minnesota Public Radio titled "Letting Go." It's about sending your child off to college.
http://download.publicradio.org/podcast/minnesota/podcasts/hows_the_family/2008/02/02082008_family_64.mp3

Sorry, I can't hotlink directly--my computer is blocking this feature and I can't figure out what setting to change to enable hotlinking.

Here's my MP3 player, a Creative Zen MicroPhoto. I've tried out several MP3's and this one has a bookmark feature that works well--a necessity for e-audiobooks:

No comments: