Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Thing #22: Keeping Up with Web 2.0

Here it is--I'm committing to keeping current with Web 2.0 developments and using some of the tools. Here's are some things I'll be doing:

--I've subscribed to feeds for "The Shifted Librarian" and "Information Wants to Be Free"
--I'm trying to browse our subscription to Information Today's Information Advisor, as frequently it has Web 2.0 information.
--I'm seeking opportunities to learn from others. One of my co-workers is using De.li.cious -- I need to have lunch with her or take the time to learn what she's doing and how it's working
--I've convinced my work group that we need to start a Wiki in our special library for our resource guides; my co-worker is our technical expert is eager to work with me on this
--We're putting our print collection on a new WebOPAC and as part of the launch I'm planning on setting up a virtual tour on Flicker of the library collection and the catalog (in addition to a physical open-house--many of our users are in different buildings)
--I have bookmarked the Web 2.0 Directory at home and at work
--I hope to continue using Ning. Someone invited me to be a friend yesterday!

Here are other resources that might be useful:

American University - Center for Social Media (in their School of Communication) (Note: I still can't get the hotlinking to work)
http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/



A blog that was featured in The Information Advisor is one by JP Rangaswami, the managing director of design at British Telecom (BT) in the UK. Here's the URL:
http://confusedofcalcutta.com/

I checked out his blog and it seemed to be more about music than Web 2.0, but maybe I needed to go back to his archived posts. (That's the problem with blogs, I think--you need to do too much filtering.)

1 comment:

Captain Crone said...

You did such a great job of exploring all the things! I really enjoyed your insights!