Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thing #20: Social Networks

I haven't been a user of social networks probably because I'm middle-aged and old school. But after looking at some of the resources, specifically MySpace and Hennepin County Libraries MySpace pages, I can see practical applications for social network sites in libraries.

Meredith Farkas' column, Libraries in Social Networking, was extremely helpful. I appreciated her comments that libraries should implement technologies not because they're cool but because they serve a specific purpose; further, these technologies should be useful to patrons "where they are" (i.e. in social networks).

I don't think I will personally use a social network; but there's the possibility of using social networks in a special library setting--maybe in these ways: a) connect users who are reading the same book (online book clubs), b) use the social network to elicit suggestions for books purchases (as one library did in one of 23 Things Resources for this Thing), c) others??

I completed an MLIS degree through a distance education, online program at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee a few years ago. We all had personal webpages and connected through email, online CHAT, etc., but a social network would have been very helpful. It was hard to keep in touch with other students after each semester ended. Participating in social network would have been helpful in building an ongoing community. I suspect I might have built lasting friendships through a social network vehicle, instead of forming short-term friendships each semester.

No comments: